Nutrition, Health, Safety
- Wine Not Linked to Better Running, by Michelle Hamilton, February 15, 2013. Chemicals such as catechins, quercetin, and resveratrol have been linked to better endurance and muscle strength but a small-scale study showed no effects of these compounds on running performance after a 45 day use. Bummer!
- What the Heck is Nutritional Yeast? by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen, October 26, 2011. Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of protein, containing essential amino acids; it's full of vitamins, especially B-complex vitamins (and is often times fortified with vitamin B-12), and it's low in fat and sodium.
- The Development of the Modern Stroke, Washington Post. This resource isn't pretty to read but I couldn't find anything better. I was surprised to learn that modern freestyle (aka Australian crawl) has really just been around since the early 1900s. It was preceded by a stroke called the "trudgen." Breaststroke is the oldest and additional strokes evolved through competitive swimming.
- Sara McLarty's Swim Workouts - need a workout idea? Pro triathlete and coach Sara McLarty has over 500 of them on her blog, with A, B, and C options for varying levels of fitness and training goals.
- Julie Weiss - Marathon Goddess - At age 42, she's finishing up a campaign to run 52 marathons in a year to raise money to fight pancreatic cancer. She's one of seven featured athletes in "Spirit of the Marathon II". (I loved the first one and look forward to the newest addition)
- Andrew Starykowicz' blog - Many pro triathletes have blogs but few keep them up to the extent that Andrew does. He was involved in a bike crash with a race volunteer at Abu Dhabi that in a strange twist of fate resulted in a short-term imprisonment and challenges to get him back to the US. In his blog he often "interviews" other triathletes which make for a fun read!
- How to use CO2 for Cycling - a Beginner's Guide - DC Rainmaker, August 5, 2008 (oldie but goodie). I carry CO2 but frankly, I've never used it. I thought when the time came I'd be able to figure it out but after reading this I realized there's some tricks and things to be aware of.