- Tire Sealants by Greg Kopecky for Slowtwitch (May 15, 2012) - This is one of those "mystery products" I learned about when I got my tri bike with tubeless tires. There's some thought that sealants can be used in all tires, but the high pressures we use make it less effective than it is for mountain bikers. Still, worth considering! Writer Greg Kopecky puts out incredibly detailed writings on all things triathlon for Slowtwitch, I'm a fan!
- Plantar Fasciitis with Jordan Metzl - Runner's World (November 12, 2012) - This condition seems to be a growing issue within the running community and it's a frustratingly slow-healing injury due to limited blood supply in the plantar fascia. Dr. Metzler explains what it is, how to treat it, and how to try to prevent it. Hint - like many issues it comes down to overly tight muscles. It's worth the 7+ minutes to watch.
- Suffer Camp: On Location with Team TBB by Fred Dreier for Inside Triathlon (January 9, 2013) - If you read Chrissie Wellington's book and learned about her now legendary coach Brett Sutton, you may have been a bit shocked by his unorthodox ways and psychological tactics. This article delves into that a bit more with his current crop of athletes. Yeah, and I think I'll be sticking with my coach!!
- Swimmer - All the back issues of this magazine, put out by the US Masters Swimming organization, are available online.
- Tim O'Donnell Talks Trek, Kona, and Wedding Planning by Liz Hitchens for Triathlete (January 11, 2013) TO's getting married in December to Rinny Carfrae and I forsee a tremendous season for him. It makes me think of this quote from Tyler Hamilton in the Secret Race - "it's funny how much racing depends on your emotions; my crush on Haven was a shot of rocket fuel."
- Competitor Radio interview with Amy Dodson (January 2, 2013) - Amy is a school teacher who lost both a leg and a lung to cancer but she is a tough Ironman competitor, ultra runner, and marathoner. I listened to this interview on my iPod on a trail run last Saturday and I just felt myself getting fired up, feeding off her energy and confidence. Paratriathletes like Amy bring SO much to the sport!
- 100-Year-Old Man Sets 100 km cycling record - Bicycling Magazine (September 28, 2012) - not exactly "new" news, but cool nonetheless. Riding 62 miles at age 100!! Robert Marchand ROCKS!
Now I lay me down to sleep
And pray that I may really keep
Myself at rest with eyes shut tight
All throughout this last long night.
Now I lay me down and list
All my gear – What have I missed?
I pinned my bib and untied shoes,
Packed water and my protein chews.
Now I lay me down and play
The races phases through and say,
“Just do your best,” and in my mind
Repeat this mantra five more times.
Now I lay me down and pray
For a successful racing day;
For access to my drive within;
And for my goal – a PR win.
Let me swim and bike and run
Just like a bullet from a gun.
But in the end if I’ve not won,
Let me remember, “That was fun.”