The racing year included 19 races: 6 road races, 1 trail race, 11 triathlons, 1 Aquathalon. The full listing of races is included at bottom of this post.
It didn't take a giant amount of training volume to prepare. It was a total of 509 training sessions for 515 hours so roughly 10 sessions, 10 hours per week. (This is skewed a bit because there are a number of short runs in there in conjunction with a swim or gym session)
My swim felt much more dialed in this year. I finally learned to swim with more awareness and more strategy and have come to enjoy it!
I am proud that I managed to stay healthy, miss very very few workouts, and race well. The focus this year was entirely on sprint and Olympic distances, and I trained consistently and brought my best to every workout and race despite my life feeling busier and more hectic then ever with two growing boys. I am pleased I could keep it together and do my best!!
Areas for Improvement:
I need to learn to be more aggressive on the bike, particularly in competitive technical sprint races with a lot of fast competitors on the course like Nationals and Worlds. I am strongest on straight open courses and am disadvantaged on crowded courses with a lot of turns.
I also need to get mentally tougher, physically stronger, and more confident on the run. My run did not feel good for most of the season as I felt more affected by the heat than ever before (I'll credit age for that, boo). My race runs often felt like damage control, and I would get so mad at myself - a previous Boston Marathoner - for feeling like a 10K was the longest run ever. With two 70.3's on the calendar I'll need to figure that out.
I am tightening up my nutrition this year (mainly veggies with lunch and dinner) and adding 15 minutes of flexibility work into my routine every night before bed. I also intend to spend less time in front of the computer!! I'm not calling these resolutions...just changes I am ready to make!
2016 Triathlon Race Schedule (Tentative)
Each year I like to make a few little changes. This year I'm grouping my race season into two sections with a training block/break in between in July and early August. I'm doing two 70.3's this year for the first time ever, and my first ever IRONMAN branded races. So I'll have an April-June race block, and an August-October race block.
- Belews Lake Intl - 4/9/16 OR Rumpass in Bumpass International - 4/30/16
- Smith Mtn Lake Sprint Tri - 5/7/16
- IM 70.3 Chattanooga - 5/22/16
- Off the Rails Sprint Tri - 6/11/16
- Bath County Triathlon - 6/18/15
- USAT Olympic Natls - 8/13/16
- USAT Sprint Natls - 8/14/16
- ITU Worlds Olympic Distance - 9/?/16
- IM 70.3 North Carolina - 10/22/16
2015 Racing Summary
- Year-End Awards
- Virginia Maryland Triathlon Series - 1st Overall Female
- All American - USA Triathlon
- Runabout Sports Age Group winner (F45-49)
- Frosty 5K (21:52) - 12/24/15 [4th F]
- Huckleberry Jam 7.4 miler (56:24) - 12/12/15 [3rd F]
- Drumstick Dash 5K (21:46) - 11/26/15 [3rd Masters]
- Brush Mountain Breakdown 12 Miler (1:52:54) - 10/24/15 [3rd/16 Females]
- Giant Acorn Sprint (1:24:31) - 9/27/15 [3rd/233 Females]
- ITU Standard Distance Age Group World Championship (2:11:54) - 9/19/15 [30th/78 AG]
- ITU Sprint Distance Age Group World Championship (1:16:33) - 9/17/15 [14th/88 AG]
- Race Roanoke Splash and Dash Aquathalon (34:43) - 8/15/15 [2nd F, 4/43 OA]
- USA Triathlon Sprint Distance Nationals (1:14:57) - 8/9/15 [6/82 AG]
- USA Triathlon Olympic Distance Nationals (2:24:35) - 8/8/15 [14/151 AG]
- Colonial Beach International (2:34:21) - 7/12/15 [1st AG, 9th OA]
- Colonial Beach Sprint (1:19:36) - 7/11/15 [2nd Masters, 5th OA]
- Shawsville 5K (21:03) - 7/4/15 [1st AG]
- Downtown Sundown 5K (21:14) - 6/20/15 [1st Masters, 6th Overall Female]
- Bath County Sprint Triathlon (1:13:02) - 6/20/15 [3rd Overall Female]
- Challenge Williamsburg Olympic (2:30:44) - 6/14/15 [1st AG, 6th Overall Female]
- Off the Rails Sprint Triathlon (56:01.2) - 5/30/15 [1st Overall Female]
- Appalachian Power Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon (1:17:44) - 5/2/15 [1st Overall Female]
- Blacksburg Classic 10 Miler (1:14:19) - 2/14/15 [1st Masters Female]
Alrighty, 2016. I am ready for you! Let's get this party started!